WE MAY NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER BUT TOGETHER WE CAN DO ANYTHING!!!



WELCOME TO THE STORIES AND LIFE EVENTS OF



DOUG, KARA,KARSTON,& JAYDEN PURCELL!



Favorite Video of our Little Man!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Karston Look...Nevermind!

So July 4 while we were camping I took Mr. Karston out for a little walk. While we were walking a plane (that at the time I thought was a crop duster) flew over our heads so I pointed it out and told him to look at it. So we were admiring it, and within a few seconds of our admiring it... the thing crashed. I quickly took Karston back to our campsite and told them I was leaving. By the time I got there there were already a few people there trying to move the Ultra Light off the guy. The guy was conscious, but pretty messed up. I was talking to him and told him that I hope he lots of fun for the time he was up there because he won't be having much fun for awhile. His leg was completely cut open so we used his shirt to tie a tourniquet at the top of his leg and to kind of cover it enough so that the wind wouldn't blow much more dirt in the wound. He broke both his legs and ankles, and ribs more then likely. I don't know the full extent of his injuries other then what I saw. I was just glad the guy was alive when I got there. He crashed I guess you could say nose first if it were a plane, but I don't know what you would say for an Ultra-light. The paramedics arrived about 30 minutes after he hit and the life flight arrived about 40 minutes after the crash. He had said to me that he was going to take his grand kid at first, but then decided since it was a test run that it probably wasn't a good idea. I am sure glad he decided that. The life-flight people kept calling me and asking me questions like what time it happened and other things and come to find out they thought I was a trained medical person. The poor guy I think was terrified I would turn him into the HIPAA police or something, but I told him not to worry, and that I felt flattered he thought I was more skilled then I really am. Good Old Girl's Camp first aid training FINALLY came into some good use!!!
I had this kid that was getting queasy looking at the blood take some pictures for me. He did a good job! The guys trying to move the plane. They moved it and got it stable, then took the supports which it was stable on and dropped it which resulted in one dude almost getting hit with the engine (which I warned them about, but what does a girl know right) as well as letting the gas leak out into the field. They said it wasn't their field so it doesn't matter. I told them it was someones field and I was pretty sure they don't want it to go up in flames (the effect of being a farmer's wife I assume) so then they picked it up and stabilized it once again. I tell ya if I could handle bloody hands, or feet I would TOTALLY love to be a nurse, but I can't so I will just stick with being mom. It was exciting though. Sad for the guy, but fun for me!












1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a CRAZY story!!!! I'm glad he's okay and that you basically saved his life! you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete