WE MAY NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER BUT TOGETHER WE CAN DO ANYTHING!!!



WELCOME TO THE STORIES AND LIFE EVENTS OF



DOUG, KARA,KARSTON,& JAYDEN PURCELL!



Favorite Video of our Little Man!

Monday, November 7, 2011

NAUVOO PART 2!!!!

Welcome to Nauvoo! We loved it there. I love learning about the ways they did things back in the day. I am amazed always at how big their family's were and how tiny the living quarters were. I am amazed at how strong the women were back then compared to now. The women had to clear the land so that when the men got back from gathering items they could quickly work on building their homes.
What they used to get the wagons across the Mississippi, which really isn't that deep, but would be rather challenging to get across. I love the story about when the Pioneers were ready to leave and taking this ferry was to long of a task. Over night the Mississippi froze and it was thick enough that they were able to walk across it with their wagons and all their possessions. By listening to the stories the missionaries told you can definitely see the Lord's hand in getting the Pioneers where they needed to be. I love this statue "Eyes Westward" Nauvoo truly is a BEAUTIFUL place and I would struggle with leaving as well. I don't know how they did it.




The first Refrigerator.
Looked over and saw this shot of the temple. It is in the back of the Gun Smith's house.

This was AMAZING. When writing a letter they could not write on the back of the paper because of how they had to fold it to mail it. So they would write normally first then turn then paper Hamburger style and wrote across what they had just written. Smart, but doesn't look that easy to read to me! They would take another piece of paper and lay it across under the first line then move it down line by line. That is how they read their letters.
The Scovil Bakery is where they would do their baking obviously.. Now you can go their and the neat thing is is that they still bake things the exact way they did back then. And can I just say how yummy the gingerbread cookies were. So good!!!
I liked how the fireplace is lined with the cookie cutters.
If you ever see one of these plates get the back checked out. I can't remember exactly what it is supposed to say, but if it says one special thing on the back it is worth a TON of money.
We learned how to make ropes.

The missionaries here make ALL the items that are displayed in the houses if they need replaced. They make all the rugs, candles, ropes etc. still.
Oh my goodness. This was so much fun. They actually still make bread the exact same way the Pioneers did. It was so much fun to watch, plus I have NEVER EVER EVER tasted bread that was the good EVER. I guess it must have something to do with cooking in bricks or something. They had to feel the bricks to determine if the coals were hot enough to cook the bread. They made normal bread as well as Ash bread. We got the normal bread and I wanted to go change my clothes and cut my hair so I could go back and get more. It was HEAVEN!!!!


On my Birthday I went to the temple first and then came back so that Grammie and Grampie could go. It was an AMAZING day. While they were gone I took the little kiddos and we went and played. I have to say I didn't get oodles of gifts or anything like that, but I did get to spend the day with my 2 favorite little men and do some pretty fun things with them. Later that night Grammie and Grampie were so kind and we all went out to this really yummy restaurant. It truly was the best Birthday to date! Thank you boys and Grammie and Grampie for making it so very memorable. No better present then to be in Nauvoo for your birthday right!!! :)
So for part of the day we went to the Nauvoo Groves. In between all the houses and stuff their is this GORGEOUS area. This is where Joseph Smith would have done his sermons since when they got here they didn't have a church to meet.

While I was wondering around reading the signs I look over to see this.... (Pics are out of order) Karston started out Kneeling down and praying and by the time I got my camera out he had moved to the bench. He prayed and prayed the entire time, and kept telling me that he prayed for Joseph. I cried it was so tender. I was amazed that he actually soaked up some of the things I was telling him about as we were walking through looking at signs.

Karston you are so special and I love that you love talking to Heavenly Father. You make me so happy!
My shoulders were hurting so I didn't use my baby pack so little Jayder bug had to be zipped up in my coat. Worked well!
I took Karston swimming later that night it was lots of fun! I LOVE being in water!
Grammie went twice once with me and once with Grampie! Lucky!!!!

BEAUTIFUL and tender Parley Street.
Karston and I rolling around in the leaves on my Birthday! Loved it. Will love it more when I will have both of my little men to roll around with! My hair was very pretty afterwards. I think I found leaves in it for a few days after that. Oh well it was fun and we made a memory!!!
Karston LOVES swinging now!!! Wahoo!!!
Karston at the temple! He loved looking around and looking at EVERY detail.
We learned how to make bricks which was rather interesting. I can't believe how long it takes just to make bricks. If you go there they will give you a brick that says Nauvoo with a beautiful picture. If you serve there you get a brick, but they will also add your name to it!



The Women's Garden is so beautiful and full of statues. I don't have room to put them all on, but this was one of my favorites since I have 2!!!

The Beautiful Sunset!
I thought this was neat. It is the statue of Joseph's last ride from Nauvoo. I loved the sunset, but I thought the rain was also an interesting touch to this great picture!!!
And of course the BEAUTIFUL Nauvoo temple at night!

The only Angel Moroni that is facing West. Also if you go to the baptistry you will find the feet of the oxen are not raised out of the cement. This is to represent the struggles that the pioneers faced while journeying to the West.



It was such a wonderful experience. There are more pics to come! I am so happy I was able to go on this little journey. My testimony I think could be compared to the Grinch's heart. Over the course of the trip my testimony I feel was so small, and the more I learned about their hardships, and the things they had to overcome just because of what they believed the larger my testimony became. I had some truly great memories and moments while on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment